What Types of Car Insurance Do You Need?

Car insurance is a necessary protection for you and your passengers. It can cover liability, collision and comprehensive coverage, as well as rental reimbursem 방문운전연수 방문운전연수 ent and roadside assistance.


The type of vehicle, driving history and deductible amount all affect your premium. Other factors include your age, gender and where you live.

Liability Coverage

Liability coverage for car insurance protects the policyholder in the event of an at-fault accident. It pays for the victim’s emergency and ongoing medical expenses, loss of income and funeral costs up to a predetermined limit. It also covers legal fees if the at-fault driver is sued. In states with no-fault auto insurance, this type of coverage is usually required along with personal injury protection (PIP) and medical payments.

Your liability limits are typically expressed as three numbers: bodily injury per person, bodily injury per accident and property damage per accident. The first number indicates how much your insurer will pay for one injured person in an accident you cause, the second number how much your insurer will pay for multiple people in a single accident and the third number represents the total amount your insurer will pay for property damage in an accident you cause.

Most car insurance experts recommend choosing higher liability coverage limits than your state’s minimum, as they will provide more financial protection if you are ever at fault for an accident. You may also choose to add uninsured/underinsured motorist coverage, which will pay for your injuries and damages if you are hit by a driver with no insurance or too little insurance. In addition, many policies come with medical payments coverage, which is similar to PIP in that it pays for your and your passengers’ medical bills regardless of who caused the crash.

Comprehensive Coverage

A car insurance policy with comprehensive coverage protects your vehicle from damage caused by something other than a collision. This includes things like fire, natural disasters, theft and vandalism, and can be an important investment if you live in an area with a high crime rate or frequent storms that cause widespread damage. It’s often a requirement when leasing or financing a car, and it’s also commonly included in full-coverage policies.

In contrast, collision coverage pays for repairs following a collision with another car or object, regardless of who was at fault. It may also pay for your medical expenses and funeral costs in the event of a crash, and it typically doesn’t require a deductible.

The decision to include comprehensive and collision coverage in your car insurance policy depends on the value of your vehicle, the state of your neighborhood’s crime rates and weather patterns, and how much you can afford to pay out of pocket if you make a claim. It’s a good idea to estimate your vehicle’s value using an online resource and calculate the cost of a policy with and without this type of coverage, taking into account any premium increases or deductibles that would apply.

You can often save on car insurance by bundling your policies with home or other types of coverage, and by keeping a clean driving record to reduce the likelihood of accidents or other hitches that will increase your rates. Age can also play a role in how much you’ll pay, with younger drivers paying higher rates than older ones.

Collision Coverage

A collision car insurance policy covers damage to your vehicle when it’s hit by another vehicle or object. It also helps pay for repairs if your car hits a stationary object, like a curb or fence, or if it rolls over. It typically pays out up to the actual cash value of your vehicle minus your selected deductible.

Collision coverage is usually a necessary part of a full-coverage car insurance policy. Some lenders require it if you lease or finance your vehicle, and even if you own your car outright, it’s worth considering. Think about how much it would cost to repair or replace your car if you swerved to avoid hitting something and ended up on the side of the road, or if someone backed into your parked vehicle during an extreme weather event.

While collision insurance can help protect you from financial loss, it doesn’t cover medical expenses if you are injured in an accident caused by you or someone else. This is why you should always consider purchasing bodily injury liability coverage, as well as uninsured/underinsured motorist property damage coverage, as part of your comprehensive and collision policies. These are the types of car insurance policies that will help you get back on the road after an accident. And the extra protections of these additional policies may even be more affordable than you think.

Uninsured/Underinsured Motorist Coverage

Uninsured/underinsured motorist coverage spares you from paying out-of-pocket expenses in the event that you’re hit by an uninsured or underinsured driver. It may also help cover damage caused by a hit-and-run driver. Depending on where you live, this type of car insurance may be mandatory. It usually costs very little and can save you tens of thousands of dollars in the case of an accident with an uninsured or underinsured motorist. You can choose between uninsured motorist bodily injury (UMBI) and uninsured motorist property damage (UMPD).

The most common UM coverage is UBBI, which pays for your medical bills, pain and suffering and loss of income if you are injured by an at-fault driver who has no car insurance. It can also cover funeral costs and other losses. Some states require a deductible for this type of coverage, which you’ll have to pay before your insurance kicks in. You can choose to stack UMPD with your other property and liability coverages in some states, which might reduce your policy cost.

UMPD is similar to underinsured motorist coverage, except it helps you pay for property damage caused by an at-fault driver who has some but not enough insurance. It typically follows the same limits as your state’s minimum liability coverage. It can also be stacked with your collision coverage to reduce your policy’s premium, as long as you have a high deductible.